Thursday, November 20, 2008

An Image I Particularly Liked

I could not figure out a good way to post this, so please bear with me.

p. 91
The bottom left hand panel.

This is really interesting, because up until this frame you see no more than the stars, and then in this frame alone to the stars and stripes appear together. It's an interesting image in that implies American influence, even American presence, but it lacks any substantial role. In addition, the blankets are put together in such a way that it looks a bit like the flag is being ripped...or that Satrapi is pulling them back together. The flag could be seen as being disrespected (children standing on it), or as holding the highest honor (sheltering children). In short, it is a powerful image that is up for interpretation.

Any thoughts? I am all out.

1 comment:

Alex Gendell said...

Good spot, Vu. With the picture being black and white I didn't catch the first occurrence of the stars and stripes together. I agree with your second point, that the blankets are a symbol of comfort, shelter, and even style. I believe the "ripped" appearance of the flag only allows for the bed to be seen, which gives the blanket/sheet its meaning.