Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gertrude Stein can be viewed as "cocky," or self indulgent, but I am amused and have great respect for her-what I view to be-un-checked confidence. She knows she is a genius and has realized other people share the same sentiment towards her. One part of her writing where I stopped to re-read and even chuckled at was when she spoke of editor Elliot Paul who said he, himself was certain that Gertrude Stein could be a best-seller in France, to which Gertrude Stein remarked, "It seems very likely that his prediction is to be fulfilled." pg.56. I am not sure if she viewed the matter the same way before she indeed became a best-seller in France, but after the time reading this novel, I believe she made that exact statement before her fame, or success in France occurred. I applaud her excellence and confidence.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I agree that that particular part of the book was amusing. Gertrude Stein seems to go between having full confidence in her writing to pushing aside novels she has written and completely forgetting about them.