Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Reading Like Dylan

The parts of this book that fascinate me the most are when Dylan is describing what he reads, and what he takes from it. The wonderful connection between a long poem and a song thats "more than three minutes" seems to really define who he is. Not knowing much about Bob Dylan I was so interested in his descriptions of reading. I never thought of how difficult it was to pay attention to every word in a poem, until I tried to read the book as he was reading these long poems. If you pay attention to every word it tells a different story. This ties in with the movie, which I also found hard to keep up with, but when i just started listening to everything that was saying I felt as though I was learning about one man in six ways, instead of focusing on the six different characters. Dylan's writing about reading, listening, or making music are all tied together in that in order to understand what is being said you should listen to it all in order to get the message.

No comments: