Thursday, October 23, 2008

Red

Throughout the book, Johnson repeatedly uses colors to describe various people at various levels. The color "Red" in particular is used, and thus far it appears that he is using it as a symbol of all that is bad in the white world.

First, of course, there is Red the Irish child in his class. He's a little dim, and exhibits the then-stereotype of Irish corruption and greed in becoming a banker through family connections; it sounds like he is part of a mob family, in all honesty. In short, he uses red to characterize a certain kind of corruption (one in which he partakes, for a while).

Then, when our hero goes to Atlanta, he says it's, "...a big, dull, red town" (37). Again: "This dull red color of that part of the South I was then seeing had much, I think, to do with the extreme depression of my spirits-" (37). Johnson gives the narrator a negative connotation with the red color of the dirt (mentioned on p. 38), which is entirely foundational to the city, both literally and metaphorically. It is not coincidence that this is where he falls victim to dishonesty. Clearly red is a warning sign to Johnson.

4 comments:

Katie Riera said...

I think Dan takes an interesting angle in his interpretation of the color "red." I, however, disagreed with some parts of his interpretation of the character "Red Head." I think the Irish symbolism funtcions to further the narrator's observative nature and labeling according to heritage. However, I don't see "red" to represent all that is bad in the white world. Johnson portrays "Red Head" in the story as the only character who stays true to the narrator even after the race-naming fiasco. The narrator states that "'Red' was the only one who did not so wound me; up to this day I recall with a swelling heart his clumsy efforts to make me understand that nothing could change his love for me" (15). I think "Red Head," who is not racist and loyal to his friend, represents all that is good in humanity.

Rali Markova said...

I like the idea Dan offered about red being what's bad in white society. Another example is when the rich widow is shot and the narrator contrasts the red blood on "that beautiful white throat" (91). He also refers to that memory as a "red stain" (91) which shows again that red is associated with something bad and ugly in the narrator's mind.

Ross Green said...

Dan, I think you may be a little off-base here. I wouldn't disagree that the color red is symbolic in the novel, I just don't think the reader can really apply any universal meaning to it. The idea that a late 19th century Irish family has extensive banking connections--dubious. Further, "Red" as a character is notable because he is particularly welcoming to the narrator despite his race; on the other hand, the dull red streets of Atlanta show the narrator little hospitality. I think this is one case when a single motif can have different meanings.

Katie Budolfson said...

I also noticed the author's attention to color throughout the book. While I agree with Katie when she states that "Red Head" perhaps is not a great example of the bad side of the color red, there is definitely something to be said about the way Johnson focuses on color. For example, on page 5 the narrator declares that he had "a particular fondness for the black keys" on the piano. Here, his preference for the black keys could foreshadow his future identification with black culture.